Welp, here we are again. What’s been shaking out in Lenexa?
– A lot of family was in town this week, since Hope’s sister and brother-in-law were here. Spencer (the brother-in-law) is taking his post in Hawaii (!), and in fact they just took off yesterday to head that way. As far as I know, they arrived safely. But that means that there wasn’t much chance to update this week. Hence, my silence.
– I got my invitation to Google+ this week, and so far I am definitely a fan. Problem is, you really need an Android phone to make the most of it. A smartphone just isn’t an option right now, but I definitely want one, and I would lean towards Android in that case. Having said all that, I am quite taken with it. I think it could definitely give Facebook a run for its money, which would be nice, since Facebook is sometimes an obnoxious site to deal with. Definitely keep your ear to the ground on this one: it could be big.
– Been getting into Game of Thrones, except I don’t have HBO, so I am reading the book instead. What to say about it? Well, it juggles a very complex plot expertly, and the characters are generally really well-written. I’m not much of a fan of the harlequin-romance aspects, especially when it gets a little more explicit. I’m interested enough to finish the book (only about 100 pages left), but I’m definitely considering passing on the rest of the series.
– I recently juggled some stuff around to score a copy of the new Lord of the Rings Card Game, from FFG. For those who aren’t familiar with it, it’s what is called a “living card game.” An LCG is essentially the same as a CCG, except the packs of cards are non-random. There’s no hunting for rares or secondary market. LotR is also unique in that it’s a cooperative game, so the players win and lose as a team. I have very little experience with CCGs (I’ve never even played Magic), but I have some pretty extensive experience with cooperative game designs, and in that respect, Lord of the Rings is a great game. It’s very tense, with a lot of tough decisions, and the theme is actually quite strong. There’s not much room for deck-building out of the box, but I’d like to hang around for a few adventure packs, and see where it goes. We’ll see if I get around to that.
– On a personal note, things are doing alright for me. I’ve been looking for a job pretty steadily for the past 6 months, with zero success. However, I’m still in the game, since I don’t really have any other options right now. The job I have now just isn’t going to cut it anymore, not if I want to ever advance in life. If you think of it, I would really covet your prayers right now. It’s very easy to get discouraged, and to just quit trying. But that’s just not a luxury I have.
Anyway, that’s what’s been going on in my life. Some things are frustrating, some are good, but overall I’m in a good place. Aside with my frustration with a job hunt, my life is really quite good these days. I have a wonderful family, a lot of friends, and in general I feel pretty optimistic right now. Optimism comes and goes though, so it’s good to focus on the things that are good.