Well, another new year is upon us. Also, should I capitalize New Year every time I write it? I still don’t know! No worries though. Four days in, and 2013 is looking pretty good. I happened to turn 30 on New Year’s Day, which was a time to try to reflect on my life and then forget about it and just play some games.
- My wife bought me a Kindle Fire for my birthday, which is pretty awesome. It’s like an iPad for people who don’t care about productivity. Also poor people.
- Z-Man Games sent me a big ol’ package this week, containing their new civilization game, Clash of Cultures. It’s by one of the designers of Merchants & Marauders. I am, to put it mildly, optimistic.
- I have yet to finish a full game of my copy of Merchant of Venus. I would still rate it as one of the best releases of 2012.
- I nabbed a copy of Persepolis (the comic) from my library. It’s been on my to-read list for a while now, and I was not in the least bit disappointed. Satrapi has a rare gift for creating striking visuals that shock and disturb while still using as few strokes of the pen as possible. Really first-rate stuff, and I am anxiously awaiting part 2 from my library, as well as the movie.
- Scientists have discovered a record of the very first GIF file. Behold!